19 January 2009

date and apple squares

This is 5 for 50 ... the other cooking I've done in the past week or so has been stuff I've already made. I'll get a couple of those up as I have time.

1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
4 tbl light corn syrup
2/3 cup chopped dates (I used the dried ones that are by the raisins and craisins at the store.)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 apples peeled and grated
1-2 tsp lemon juice
walnuts - halves or chopped

1. Preheat oven to 375, line an 8x8 pan with foil.
2. On stove, heat margarine, sugar, and corn syrup. Stir until margarine is melted.
3. Add dates and cook until softened. Work in oats, flour, apples, lemon juice.
4. Put mixture in pan. Put walnuts over the top.
5. Bake for 30 min, then lower oven temp to 325 and cook for another 10 min. until firm.

The recipe is from our Cookie cookbook, but it turned out more like a cake. It was also very, very mild in flavor - I could taste the wheat more than the apples and dates, which seemed to completely dissolve. I thought it was a good breakfast food because it's pretty healthy and not too sweet.

No comments: