18 January 2009

FRESH CORN FRITTATA AND SMOKED MOZZARELLA

FRESH CORN FRITTATA AND SMOKED MOZZARELLA
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
1 ½ cups fresh corn kernals (about 3 ears)
¼ cup smoked mozzarella, shredded (about 1 ounce), divided
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade (this is a cutting technique where you roll the basil into a tight roll and then thinly slice the bunch)
¼ teaspoon sea salt (preferably Maldon salt – it’s a course Spanish sea salt)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
5 large egg whites, lightly beaten
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Method:
Preheat broiler

Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. You want to use a skillet that is oven safe. Add ½ teaspoon olive oil to pan. Add corn and sauté for 5 minutes. Remove from heat into a large bowl. Let it cool a bit. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese, basil and the remaining ingredients. Stir well with a whisk.

Heat the skillet over medium high heat. Add remaining ½ teaspoon olive oil to pan. Add corn mixture, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until almost set. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Broil for 5 minutes or until set and browned.

-

While in Texas my father in law paid for my mother in law and I to take a cooking class. Let me say, way fun. If I lived in San Antonio, I think that would become a regular date for Jason and I. Food is excellent, the instructors were excellent. The store they had the classes in was just amazing. You could actually buy Spanish sweet paprika there. Hurray!

Okay, so for dinner tonight I am making some of what was in the class. We made is before and my family loved it so we are using up ingredients (attempting to not be wasteful). I thought some of you might enjoy this as well (its really really easy – no lying about it). Oh, and its totally vegetarian and gluten free

No comments: