01 January 2009

learning to cook

When I was a kid, my mom always told me that if I didn't learn to cook, I'd never get married. My response was, "Well, then I'm never getting married." Fortunately, I had the good sense to find and marry a food snob, and he had the good sense to force me to learn to cook when I quit working an office job to stay home with our kids.

So I set a goal to learn 50 new recipes. The rules were:

1. I had to make it correctly - if I screwed something up, I had to make it again before it counted.
2. If we didn't like it well enough to make it again in the future, it didn't count.

It took me a year and a half to do it - Sept. 06 to Feb. 08 - but I also had a 2nd baby in there. And now I have another goal to learn another 50 recipes but this time to do it inside of a year. That of course comes out to 1 per week with 2 weeks wiggle-room.

4 comments:

stewbert said...

I'll be in. But I'm not a food snob, just cook down to earth stuff that isn't fussy. I *can* cook super fancy stuff I just choose not to.

Oh, and I'm allergic to mangos. :P

april b said...

I'm in. I'll post a couple of recipes once I'm added on as a contributor.

Abby said...

I can't guarantee I'll be terribly active, but I've got a few easy recipes I wouldn't mind sharing.

For the record I know a whole slew of couples, young and old, where the wife has no clue how to cook and the husband does all of it (really well, mind you). And the wives stay home and the husbands work, too. So there.

Unknown said...

Let me know what you are interested in cooking. Jason and I have been to culinary school. So if you want to try way out there things or ethnic food, come to us!