09 January 2009

Mac & Cheese

Throw away the box! I have only had boxed mac and cheese a few times in my life, mainly because I can't stand the stuff. So here is an excellent recipe for Mac and Cheese that is quick, easy, and most importantly, really good! - so no need for the nasty boxed stuff again.

Mac and Cheese (I believe it came from Alton Brown - I love him too!)

1/2 pound pasta (elbow, shells, or whatever type you prefer)
2 tablespoons butter
2 eggs
3/4 cup evaporated milk (I use rice milk when I don't want to open a can - regular milk works really well too - just depends on how creamy you want it)
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce - add as much or as little to your taste
1 tsp salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 tsp dry mustard
10 oz cheddar, shredded

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain. Return to the pot and melt in the butter. Toss to coat. Whisk together the eggs, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.

Want to add veggies? I often add in either pureed cauliflower, sweet potatoes, or butternut squash (just steam and puree in food processor) into the mac and cheese. You could also just add steamed/baked butternut squash cubes - it is a very good and healthy addition

No comments: