06 July 2009

Zucchini Bread

I had a few pieces of zucchini and I didn't feel like cooking them the "boring" way, so I found this recipe that I used to love when I was little and growing up with Baptist picnics on the grounds, but which I haven't had since.

Jeff walked in as I was making it and asked what it was. I answered that it was zucchini bread, but then made him promise to try it before he wrinkled his nose. He said it was awesome...and Maddie loves it too. Very sweet and cinnamon-y!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 C all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 egg, beaten
1 C sugar
1 C freshly shredded zicchini, with skin (about 1/2 a zucchini, but I doubled the recipe and used a whole one, since a single recipe only makes one loaf)
1/4 C cooking oil
1/2 C chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Grease the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
3. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the mixture; set aside.
4. In another medium bowl, combine egg, sugar, zucchini, and oil.
5. Add zucchini mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened. Batter will be lumpy. Fold in nuts.
6. Spoon into loaf pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds delicious

Abby said...

I've never understood why people wouldn't like this. To me, it always tasted just like banana bread, and who doesn't like banana bread?