06 March 2014

afternoon dress

My friend's daughter, Ella, is being homeschooled this year.  She's been feeling rather lonely, and stuck at home, so I invited her over to my house every Wednesday for hanging out - sewing, drawing, talking about books, doing math, whatever we want.  This is just time for her to get out of the house.  She wanted to make a dress, and brought me some awesome Superman comic fabric to work with.  We were going to attempt a circle skirt, but came to the realization that we didn't have enough fabric.  So instead I came up with a non-pattern (just measured, drew some lines and cut), and it turned out exactly like we wanted.  We used a t-shirt for the top and added a sash in the middle, and we couldn't be happier.  It was finished within a matter of hours.  I drew the pattern, and sewed on the sash, but Ella did everything else.  It is incredibly flattering on her, and it hits the right length just below her knees.  She's going to make a crinoline with our friend Sherry to go underneath it to make it poofy.  I'll have to take better pictures when it is all done.