05 March 2015

Recipe 22: Lemon "Cuppins"

I found this recipe in an old book of Aaron's grandmother's - one of those community collections of recipes.  All things lemon sounds fabulous right now, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Lemon Buns
Cream together:
  1 cup sugar
  1/2 cup butter
Add:
  2 eggs
  1 cup milk
  rind of 1 lemon
Sift together:
  2 tsp baking powder
  2 cups flour
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir.
Bake in bun tins 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

The recipe called them buns, so I was picturing bread buns, but they are more like a cross between a muffin and a cupcake - very light and moist, with a nice lemon flavor.  I did swap out half the milk for some lemon yogurt, so that may have helped.

Because the directions were vague, I put half the batter in a lined muffin tin, and half in a sprayed one - they got a nice crust in the sprayed pan, which was nice when they were warm, but next time I'll just use cupcake wrappers (since I have a million of them in all patterns and sizes).

No comments: