02 November 2015

G is for gingham

Halloween has come and gone, and I've had a Dorothy dress on my to-do list since last spring. At last, Mom has delivered!! I used this tutorial from Girl. Inspired. to make the dress - I did the straps over the shoulders instead of the halter like she has it, and I didn't shirr the back (although I probably should so it fits better). That was a new feature I didn't have time to figure out, and I didn't want to screw up the dress the day before Halloween.

At the church party on Friday.

SM ready to trick-or-treat with her cousin KE who recently moved to Connecticut from Arizona - they'd never met before this summer and were instant friends. KE was Mal from Disney's Descendants.

I don't know what it is, but I love gingham. It makes me think of cute little cottages in a country flower garden, and picnics in the summer. I also sewed a couple of gingham items during the summer. I bought my first ever PDF pattern last spring and made some shorts (that didn't fit the original kid who chose the fabric - they went to the next one down). I had just enough fabric left over for a simple skirt for JK. The skirt needed something to give it a little more pizzazz so I appliqued a teal knit heart, and then Shorts Girl wanted a heart on her knee as well. Don't look too closely - the edges are a mess. I'm still figuring out knit fabric.


No comments: