08 January 2017

Pumpkin Pie Granola

I am one of those people that jumps on the "pumpkin spice" band-wagon each fall.  It smells amazing and tastes delicious.  I ended up making five new pumpkin recipes in 2016.  It doesn't help that I buy big cans of pumpkin so I have to make multiple items to use up the whole can.

One of my favorite new recipes was my own creation of Pumpkin Pie Granola, which was inspired by this recipe.  The biggest thing I learned was NOT to stir the granola to make it all clustery and extra amazing.  It was a granola revelation.  I will use this method for all granola-making in the future because it just makes better granola.  So on with the recipe ....

In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, stir together the following for five minutes:
  1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  1/2 cup honey
  3 tablespoons oil

Take off the heat and add:
  2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  2 teaspoons vanilla

In a large bowl stir together:
  3 cups old fashioned oats
  1 1/2 cups bran cereal
  1 cup shredded coconut
  1 cup slivered almonds
  1/4 cup ground flax seed
  2 tablespoons chia seeds

Pour pumpkin mixture over it and stir until combined.
Spread onto a cookie sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes.
DO NOT STIR until it has cooled, and then store in an air-tight container.

No comments: